Sunday, May 11, 2008

closing walls and ticking clocks...


Oh summer, how much can one cram into three wee months of sun before the cruel grays of the cold months take over?

They may not be necessarily the greatest band ever although they are one of the biggest, there is something about Chris Martin & co. that stirs an ardent, polarized yet somewhat civilized wide-scale kaffeeklatsch. There are far more brilliant lyricism and far more innovative musicianship but they are far from middling either. Perhaps casting comparisons and A-list affinities and proximities and being in the know aside, these blokes just happen to make good music that happen to resonate in our joint existentialism. The song below is a prime example and a particular, personal fave other than Shiver (see past blog post).

Much like the summers that come and go into our lives and the questions wether we have made the most of them the song ticks and tocks with an urgency and constancy like a timepiece that seemingly verges but refuses to bog down-- "cursed missed opportunities..."

Speaking of summer, with several fellow greats have albums out and are of course touring. Foos, check. NIN, check. Dylan, check. Cornell, maybe. Have to check my sched. REM, have to find somebody to switch with at work. Radiohead, I wish but Chicago is too far. Pearl Jam may be out of the question. Damn PJ for being too expensive (why Eddie, why?)!!! Coldplay.com please pick me for the free Madison Square gig, PLEEASE!!! After all these, I'm going to be broke. Damn it.

Coldplay is releasing their fourth album taking part in series of unconventional releases by big acts in a show of middle fingers to the evil record company traditions.

Clocks
Coldplay
from A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002

Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
You've put me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead, singing
Come out of things unsaid, shoot an apple off my head and a
Trouble that can't be named, tigers waiting to be tamed, singing
You are, you are

Confusion never stops, closing walls and ticking clocks, gonna
Come back and take you home, I could not stop, that you now know, singing
Come out upon my seas, curse missed opportunities, am I
A part of the cure, or am I part of the disease, singing

You are, you are, you are, you are
You are, you are
And nothing else compares
Oh no nothing else compares
And nothing else compares

You are
Home, home, where I wanted to go,
Home, home, where I wanted to go,
Home, home, where I wanted to go,
Home, home, where I wanted to go.

No comments: