Monday, December 28, 2009

Up in the Air


I am fascinated by travel. Maybe it's the smalltown girl dreaming dreams or the gypsy in me itching to roam. I tend to judge people and places by the scenery from a window seat. There's part charm and chagrin at the sight of farmlands and heartlands. I often ponder if a city holds up to the expectations its flickering night lights tend to ignite and if there's a mathematical equation to the degree it can deliver or disappoint. Sunlight is quantifiable to happiness if not to the level of perk or one's talkative trait. How truly diverse a city is exponentially related to how authentic it's Chinese take-out is. Others tend to flaunt global citizenship by finding the right drapes to go with the new Moroccan paint of the family den. Or they may displace to more temperate climes, better pay, cheaper real estate and gentrified surroundings only to run in the exact same circles and exchanging the exact same trivialities. The world is one giant science project and travel is the agar to view through airline eyes. It is an open zoo worth the price of admission. There is a rather uneasy tax to seeing it all though-- an incertitude that life is passing you by as you flit past it and then there's seeing things for what they are and the weariness of knowing. Being away from home ever since I have been old enough to make a living, I am coming to a conclusion that no matter where I attempt to take root, it is nothing more than something to tie me down. I have only one home and it's the one that has blessed me to be free and never merely settle.


-- Post From My iPhone, my so-called mobile life.

Location:Durness Ct,Nottingham,United States

2 comments:

freezejas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
freezejas said...

very nicely written, joy. just do things that make you happy and to hell with the rest. you should meet my colleague irvin, he consumes a lot of flier miles and one of the nicest person in the world. i'm so glad he's a colleague.